Haven’t blogged much about my bass playing or gear lately, so here’s a brain dump.
eBay is a great place to get used gear. I’ve bought the majority of my effects (most used) from eBay auctions. Of my current effects setup, I bought all but one pedal from eBay. The used ones came in excellent shape. I can usually tell from the item photos if the condition of the item is what I’ll like, but the seller’s description and reputation count a lot.
My current setup:
“Righteous” config (the one I play with at church):
– BOSS Chromatic Tuner TU-2 (purchased new from eBay)
– BOSS Bass Limiter LMB-3 (purchased used (like new) from eBay)
– BOSS Bass Chorus CE-2B (purchased back when I was in Buffalo)
– Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI (purchased used (like new) from eBay)
“Raucous” config (playing rock):
– BOSS Chromatic Tuner TU-2
– BOSS Bass Limiter LMB-3
– BOSS Octave OC-2 (borrowed John‘s last Friday night, bought a used one from eBay the day after; can’t wait for it to arrive)
– BOSS Bass Chorus CE-2B
– BOSS Flanger BF-3 (traded for used (like new) from another TalkBass member)
– Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI
My GLJB is great after almost a year of regular use. Last week I decided to get adventurous; I wanted to adjust the neck relief down a bit by tightening the truss rod. I knew the truss rod adjustment was at the body end of the neck, but what I didn’t know what that there wasn’t full access to the truss rod nut without loosening the neck joint. I did just that and tightened the rod by a quarter turn. The results were slight, but noticeable. I may give it another quarter turn the next time I change the strings (which should be in about six months).
I’ve been playing with John, Joreen, and others outside of church more regularly, doing some of John’s material as well as covers from the Dead and other bands. We are hoping to play out somewhere in the next few months. Details will be revealed when relevant!